Sunday, August 4, 2013

Pride, Prejudice, and a Man Card

Once a year, all of the females on Jessie's mom's side of the family travel to Cedar City, Utah for the annual Shakespearian Festival. No husbands are allowed. Period. I was a little bitter when I first heard about this yearly ritual, but after thinking about it, I got really excited for a full week of Austin-Natalie bonding time:)

Shakespeare looking fly
Jessie wasn't able to go to the Festival last year because Natalie was about one day old, and she was seriously considering not going this year because she is over seven months pregnant! But, in the end, we decided that it would be a fun getaway for her, and she decided to go.

So, since Jessie will be out of town until late next Sunday, I felt that it was my husbandly duty to update the blog, lest all of our adoring fans become angry at the lack of Peeks at the Poulsens.

Anyways, as the title of this blog suggests, I wanted to write a little bit about Jane Austen. As I have said in blogs past, I usually only read fantasy books, but every once in a while, I deign to read a 'Jessie book.' Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, is one of Jessie's all-time favorite books. I have been saying for a while that I was going to read it, but I couldn't really get over the chic-flick stereotype that surrounds the story.
See what I mean? Way to cutesy for someone as manly as I am.


Recently, however, I finally gathered the gumption to give it a try. And I am so glad that I did. Jane Austen is, without a doubt, one of the most talented writers who ever lived. She is extremely eloquent, and witty in a way that most people can never hope to replicate. I seriously laugh out loud two or three times every chapter. And not only is it funny, it is also very intriguing. I usually hate love stories, but Jane Austen succeeds in making the romance of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy as interesting to me as Tolkien makes epic battles between good and evil! Seriously, I can't find enough good things to say about Pride and Prejudice.

So, for anyone out there who reads this and thinks I am somehow less manly than you previously thought, please know that I am not ashamed of my infatuation with Pride and Prejudice. Some people will laugh at me, others will scorn me, and a few will try to take away my 'man card.' But please know that it's too late; I already gave my man card willingly to Jane Austen.

No comments:

Post a Comment