Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day

We didn't have any plans for Memorial Day this year except to be depressed that we weren't in Yellowstone for my family's annual reunion and to be glad Austin didn't have to work. It ended up being a full, fun, festive day though!

We had breakfast and got dressed and headed to our favorite Pioneers Park on the outskirts of town. It has a nice playground and beautiful grounds to explore. Natalie calls it Peach Park for some unknown reason, ha. The kids ran themselves ragged all over the playground, and Grandma and Grandpa came to play too, which was SO fun! I didn't take any pictures because I was just enjoying the morning, but it was really a nice way to start the day.

We decided that it was a holiday, after all, so we should do something fun for lunch, and deli sandwiches sounded good to me so we invited some friends over and went to town on specialty turkey, ham, salami, gouda, and croissant deli sandwiches. YUM. And grape salad (which is DELICIOUS, if you haven't tried it. Google it.) The kids all completely crashed for nap time, they were so tired haha, and the rest of us just had fun chatting.

Hours later when they woke up, we headed over to the Poulsens for a hamburger grill-out with the missionaries. Austin and I decided to try to recreate our favorite burger at our favorite burger place, the Eight Second at Honest Abe's. It is a patty glazed with bbq sauce, topped with cheese and bbq chips and a mix of jalapenos/bacon with more bbq sauce. It is incredible, and our re-creation was actually really close to the real thing! We decided to call it the Ten Second and will definitely make it again. Aside from the delicious food, we had a great time hanging out with the fam. We are SO lucky to live close to everyone. (Afton and Anthony, MOVE CLOSER! :) )

We headed home, put the kids down, and fell asleep pretty soon ourselves. It was a happy, full day.

The next day after we dropped Austin off at work I decided to drive around the cemetery since we didn't do anything Memorial Day-y on the actual day. It was a great decision - I was touched as I drove around the beautiful grounds and read some of the names on the nearer gravestones, and especially as we passed the various war memorials and monuments. I think it would be a cool service project to clean off the white grave markers someday. It was a good exercise to try to explain the meaning of Memorial Day to my children as we drove around. I'm grateful for our country and for our military, especially growing up with a dad in the Air Force. I've always been proud to be American, and I love feeling patriotic on these holidays.

I loved seeing so many flags all around the city, and especially at the cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment