Monday, April 11, 2016

DC: The Beginning

I feel guilty even writing this post because even though I just went on vacation in January, a few short months passed and I got to go on ANOTHER vacation!

Here's how it happened, around February:

Renetta: Hey Jessie, I want to put a bug in your ear.
Jessie: Okay, shoot!
Renetta: Dan has a conference in Washington D.C. for a few days in April and I am coming with him but I don't know my way around D.C. and he's busy during the day, AND I remember you saying you have friends there that you want to visit, SO.......youshouldcomewithme.
*pause*
Jessie: Wow. Well that would be super fun of course, but I mean, I just went out of town, I don't know if I should leave again.
Renetta: Roundtrip tickets from Omaha to D.C. are only $250.
Jessie: You're absolutely right, I'm going.

Thanks to cheap Southwest flights, dates working out, willing babysitters, and my perfect husband who was fully supportive from the start, I got to go on this totally random purely for fun best vacation ever. 

Also, did I mention that I didn't bring my children? I got to travel with my best Nebraska friend to visit my best Maryland friend and see the best historic city together for three child-free days of liberating bliss! (Please shove this in my face when I go back to complaining about my daily life - for now I'm still riding the high.)

We took a ton of pictures, visited a ton of places, ate a ton of good food, and WALKED.

INTRODUCING: THE CAST OF CHARACTERS

THE ENTHUSIAST
 My job was to support any and all plans that were proposed. "Yes! That sounds great, let's do that." "Perfect, I've always wanted to go there." "Awesome suggestion, I'd love to eat at that restaurant!" I was thrilled to participate no matter what the activity. I think I had a silly grin on my face the entire trip, I was just so excited to be there.

THE GROUP LEADER
Christian's job was to make sure we saw what we needed to see and propose practical modifications to our itinerary. For example, we had neglected to include the National Archives on our list of places to go, but he steered us in that direction as our very first activity and we all agreed afterwards that it had been the perfect place to start. Also, he suggested delicious eating establishments which our famished bellies appreciated.


CO GROUP LEADER AND LOGISTICAL MATRON

Ananda kept us going in the right direction at the right time to the right destination. She knew metro train schedules, how to use Uber, when to walk, and gave us minute-by-minute breakdowns and plans. She also knew museum locations and exhibit hours, as well as coordinating the schedules of three separate persons with appropriate rendezvous points. Our trip was organized and efficient and frustration-free because of her.

THE TOURIST

Renetta's job was to be appropriately awed by the wonder of this city. She kept up her end of the deal by fully appreciating the historical, architectural, political, and magical qualities of the places we visited. She was the best sport letting the group leaders shuttle her around, trusting that they knew what she needed to see and putting her trip in their hands.

Coming next: Tourism! Pictures! Washingtonian Glory!

P.S. Aren't we just so cute in those pictures?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you had a good time! There's something about a trip with friends that just feels SO GOOD. I'm with you on that. And DC--always a great place. :)

    ReplyDelete